Re: Migrating from RDB 4.2 to Oracle 7

From: Phil Cook <pcook_at_iamerica.net>
Date: 1997/03/25

We have been working on a similar project and here are some suggestions :

	Oracle does not have any scripts to convert between the two dbs.
	You can get the database definition script file from Rdb by performing
rmu/extract,
	and then go through line by line to convert from Rdb syntax to Oracle
syntax to
	build the Oracle database creation script.

	We have been using rmu/unload and then sql*loader to migrate the data,
beware
	of how Rdb pads out the character fields, Oracle will use up space storing
those blanks.
	Dates will also cause problems, Oracle does not store out to the 1/00 of a
second like Rdb.

        A couple of alternatives would be to use Oracle's gateway product to Rdb and make

        Rdb tables look like Oracle tables. Also, there is a company in Richmond, Va that has

        developed tools to migrate from Rdb to Oracle, The Database Solutions Group, we

        did not use them, but here is their number 800-933-7668.

Hope this helps....

        Phil Cook

C. Eric Ladner <clad_at_chevron.com> wrote in article <3336F631.41C6_at_chevron.com>...