Re: Oracle for Linux

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1997/03/25

Steve Abatangle wrote:

  Rich Headrick (rheadric_at_macromedia.com) wrote:
: Ok fine, you not poor, but how intelligent of a business decision
 could
: this be? I'd never pick linux as the platform for my business
 apps.
: Are you a student or something?

  This attitude is growing tiresome. I'd personally pick Linux over   Solaris or OSF/1, period -- muchless SCO. Linux is smaller, faster,   tighter, and more robust in nearly every way than any commercial   unix I'm aware of.

[Quoted]   Oracle7 for SCO, in my experience, runs about four times faster on   Linux 2.x than on its native OS.

  Steve

  [These views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of   Oracle Corporation.]

 I agree 100% with this. Linux is not used in buisnesses because there is no company to back it. The fact that people think you use it because you are poor or something is ignorance. I use it as my server of choice and would pick it over any other Intel port including Solaris X86.

The facts are that it is an incredible operating system that has 10's of 1000's of developers working on it every day. It is constantly getting better and better and is so diversified that many companies use it for their mail and news servers. Some even use it as a cheap router. I know of several ISP's that even use for their customers shell accounts and their web servers.

To think that this operating system is for only poor people is truly ignorance. I have not put Oracle on my box at home yet but as soon as I get the time I am going to. Received on Tue Mar 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message