Can Forms access client-side files?

From: Jeff Bangle <JBangle_at_erols.com>
Date: 1997/03/22

[Quoted] We have users in many geographically dispersed locations. Several users are on LANs administered by other organizations, so we can't get direct access to them. Whenever we get ready to release a new version, we send out floppies with the new forms. The new forms are supposed to be preinstalled on each LAN so that we don't 'lose' any users when we upgrade the production database.

The problem is, no matter how many phone calls we make to the Network Administrators at each site, we always have a few users that didn't the new forms installed, and are unable to access the data they need for a day or two.

What I want to do is have Oracle Forms do a quick check of the client-side directories every time a user logs into the database. Forms would look for specified files and report back to the database if they were present or not. That way, we would know in advance which users didn't have the necessary files for the next release before we upgrade the database. Is this possible, and if so, how? Received on Sat Mar 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message