Re: Oracle for Linux

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/03/22

"Michael Agbaglo" <michael_at_isv-gmbh.de> writes:

>> The simple operations that we tried on NT involved things like reading
>> a 2.5 million row table and deleting rows based on certain conditions.
>> NT 4.0 took more than twice as much as Solaris X86.
>>
>> Both instances were unchnaged and installed with default settings.
>> I thought that was fair enough.

>Huh ? What about the hardware ?
>Did you use the same machine ?

Yes. One Quantum Atlas 4GB drive was partitioned to install both OSes on it.

>> Also I like being able to access and modify my toys from home or when
>> I am travelling. NT not only does not provide a decent shell, it
>> does not let me log in from remote locations. And no, I will not

>Ah... ever used RAS ? There should be a telnet demon too ...
>(www.informationnt.com ? )

I have used RAS. Gave up on it, got an Ascend P75 ISDN Terminal Adapter.

I have also tried the rlogind and telnetd for NT. They are a bad joke. They certainly cannot be used for any development work. Maybe minor administrative work, even that would be too clunky.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Sat Mar 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message