Re: Debug/Tracing PL/SQL

From: Steven Hill <steven_at_compcat.com>
Date: 1997/03/21

In article <332F9ECB.1C9E_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>, Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Just after I posted this message, I discovered that Oracle's
> > Developer/2000 product seems up to the task. Unfortunately, in my >
 case
> > if I'm not mistaken, it comes bundled with tools for forms, reports >
 and
> > graphics (none of which I need) -- all for $3500. That's a lot for
 what
> > I need so I'm hoping there are some good, less expensive alternatives.
> > Are there?
>
> If you are looking for a PL/SQL tool, look at Oracle Procedure Builder.
> The PL/SQL engine can be run locally (although it's not as up-to-date as
> the RDBMS's own internal PL/SQL engine) and it contains tracing and
> debugging. The product isn't as slick as Visual C++ and the Borland
> tools (like Delphi) in GUI terms, but it's better than nothing.
> Procedure Builder is an Oracle product which can be bought separately
> from Dev 2K.
>
> Steve Phelan.

and

From Robert Cordingley:
>Actually, there's only one product (that I know of) which will debug all
>of the server-side PL/SQL things. It's called Watch-PL and it's from
>Platinum. For some reason they don't really advertise the product even
>though it's pretty decent and quite functional. It's not fast and the
>way it does its thing is not pretty but it *does* work. Oracle's
>alleged debugger seems to be intended only for OracleForms PL/SQL which
>is still v1.x of PL/SQL. As far as I know, there are no products with
>really make use of Oracle's little "debugger interface" which would
>allow somebody to make a very slick and functional debugger. Watch-PL
>is the only game in town for now...I think.

Thanks for your feedback. It seems like Oracle's Procedure Builder and Platium's Watch-PL are the best options although I'm surprised the size of the Oracle market has drawn more interest from vendors to fill this important niche.

Steven Hill Received on Fri Mar 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message