Re: Help With DBMS_OUTPUT

From: Lindsberger Franz <franz.lindsberger_at_siemens.at>
Date: 1997/03/21

Ed Jennings wrote:

> I'm using DBMS_OUTPUT in a stored procedure that print a key value
> after doing some computations and an insert. When I run this
> procedure from SQLPlus, I get no output until the stored proc is
> finished. I then get pummelled with a few hundred lines of output.
> The stored proc takes about 15 minutes to execute, therefore I can only
> assume that the output is being buffered somehow. Does anyone know if
> this is the case, and if there is a way to turn it off? I want
> to monitor the progress during runtime, and currently the output
> is of little use.
> --
> jennings_at_dca.net

Indeed - you're right: Output is buffered. Also there exist mechanisms, which
affect output - flushing when exceptions are raised. For debugging and allocationg the code-position which wss just reached / just not reached I use a user-defined exception. This is much work but it works
good luck Received on Fri Mar 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message