Oracle Transparent Gateway - Link Oracle AS400

From: <kurt_verstichel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1997/03/20

  Hi there,

  They want me to use the Oracle Transparent Gateways module on a Windows   NT4.0 server. I know that some readers of this newsgroup are working with
  the same configuration. What they really want to do with me is starting up
  a project which uses both of the databases on SQL400 on the AS400 and the
  Oracle 7.3 database on the Windows NT server.   For me, this seems impossible to do, but some contacts with the local   Oracle support team learned me that this is common use (or what did you   think?). The extra problem where I am dealing with is fact that the AS400
  and NT-server are 80 kms away from each other, this means there is only a
  telephone line (128K/s) between the 2 servers.   My client application is using the Oracle database, but during the night   some data of the AS400 should be downloaded to the Oracle database. This   means that I don't need the SQL400 database constantly, however during a   day, some changes can be made on the SQL400 database, and these changes   must be reflected in my own Oracle database.   Till here the situation, now my questions :

  1. Has anyone experience with this situation, using the Transparent Gateway over a telephone line
  2. Can I read AND write in both directions.
  3. When a modification in the SQL400 database is made, can I use the Oracle-trigger mechanism, to see that a certain row in a certain SQL400 table is changed ?
  4. What is the performance of this link, because in earlier messages I read, it was not that fine (without working over a telephone line, a connection time of 2 minutes)
  5. Should I prefer to use ftp ???? At that moment, the AS400 can write his modifications in a file, transfer it to the NT-server, and on the NT-server I can use a daemon program evaluating the contents of the transferred file

  Kind regards to anybody who can give me some advice!