Re: Oracle for Linux

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1997/03/20

In article <5glb98$geb_at_NNTP.MsState.Edu> aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) writes:
>Rich Headrick <rheadric_at_macromedia.com> writes:
>
>>Ok fine, you not poor, but how intelligent of a business decision could
>>this be? I'd never pick linux as the platform for my business apps.
>>Are you a student or something?
>
>Have you ever used Linux ? If you have you would not be asking me this
>question !
>
>I can give you over a 100 reasons to choose Linux over say, NT, Solaris,
>HPUX, AIX, Netware.
>
>We have all of these OSes except for Netware at work. But we prefer to
>use Linux. Becasue its faster (more than twice as fast as Solaris on same
>machine, according to BYTE benchmark), more efficient, much more stable
>(personal experience), much more secure (known security bugs get fixed
>on Linux first before on any other platform), better driver support, better
>and much more powerful software packaging system, easy and powerful
>administation and installation ....
>
>Now please give me one reason why you would NOT use Linux. If you have
>not used Linux yourself then you are not qualified to answer. Infact if
>you have not used Linux then you should keep yourself from commenting on
>it, just to save yourself from humiliation. I usually dont talk about
>stuff that I know nothing about.

Because nobody would pay me to. I mean, I use it personally, but it is difficult to present a business case showing a market that can be sold into. Contrast that to millions of dollars of sales to manufacturing companies that want AIX or HP-UX or DEC-UNIX or VMS, fergoshsakes, or even NT. I would personally much rather use linux for low-end stuff, but until Oracle throws its weight and influence into it, TSOL. Just 'cause it can be made to run SCO executables doesn't cut it.

Like the movie said, SHOW ME THE MONEY!

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>