Re: Oracle for Linux

From: Michael Rudolph <mr_at_kdt2.sw-hb.de>
Date: 1997/03/19

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> Bram Schiltmans <bmschilt_at_worldaccess.nl> writes:
>
> >I know some people (including someone at ORACLE) who tried to run the
> >SCO version on LINUX. And they weren't all that negative about it. So
> >you could give that a try. Not sure how well it will work though.
>
> Its a hack. And an ugly one at that. The cookbook is for an older release
Of course it's a hack, but not that ugly :=). I wrote one of these cookbooks to install the Workgroup Server for SCO. (Trial-CD 7.1.5). If somebody is interested, just send me an e-mail.
> of Oracle, not sure if it would work for the newer one. This makes it
> even more uglier. Getting the SCO binariess needed for this cookbook is
> not easy either. I haven't tried SCO. From what I hear its really ugly.
> Bringing in binaries from an ugly OS would make this whole thing super-ugly :)
I haven't got a new release (e.g. 7.3), so if anyone can tell me how to get a SCO 7.3 Trial-CD, I would try to get it running. As for the needed SCO binaries: You can get a free License for SCO Open Server for noncomercial use.

> It seems it would easier and cleaner and nicer if Oracle would compile Oracle
> for Linux. Everybody would live happily ever after :)
Of course this would be the best solution. Hopefully Oracle will be convinced of that in the near future :=)

Bye
Michael

Michael Rudolph                                Mail:  mr_at_kdt2.sw-hb.de
EDS Fertigungsindustrie (Deutschland) GmbH     Phone: 49-421-6482105