Re: Disable win3.1 File/Close ?

From: QuadTwin <quadtwin_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/03/19

In article <5gbm8i$rb4_at_boursy.news.erols.com>, Jim Freeman <"jrf1_at_erols.com"@erols.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know if it is possible using Oracle Forms 4.5
>to disable the Win3.1 File/Close Alt-F4 option from the MDI window.
>We don't want the user to be able to close the window without
>first entering information.

Jim,

You can't control this property of the MDI window directly. Although, as Steve Cosner suggested, you can define a KEY-EXIT trigger that will fire if they click on the MDI close box. However, this trigger does not fire in a number of other situations where the underlying form might be induced to terminate. So you need to be equally concerned about those situations too. For example, if there is uncommitted data outstanding and the user does [Exit], Oracle presents a dialog box asking the user whether the changes should be saved. I believe your KEY-EXIT trigger does not fire when this "leave the form" dialog occurs.

I know there are cases where KEY-EXIT may not fire, I may not have given you the exact circumstances as I am relying on my memory. Relying on KEY-EXIT and KEY-COMMIT is dangerous because Oracle will supercede trigger execution with its own dialog box.

Al Lawson
Interactive Group, Inc.
www.interactive-group.com
lawsona_at_interactive-group.com Received on Wed Mar 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message