Re: Oracle for Linux

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/03/18

Rich Headrick <rheadric_at_macromedia.com> writes:

>What is "SLOWER", do you mean less transactions per/sec.? Have you
>measured this, or do you mean throughput? Have you looked a tuning
>whatever it is you've attemped to build? Are your queries really
>queries, or are you just playing tinkertoy db? Have you checked things
>like db_block_buffers, db_block_size, etc..., or are they the defaults
>that all children get when they first open their toys on Christmas?

[Quoted] The simple operations that we tried on NT involved things like reading a 2.5 million row table and deleting rows based on certain conditions. NT 4.0 took more than twice as much as Solaris X86.

Both instances were unchnaged and installed with default settings. I thought that was fair enough.

[Quoted] Also I like being able to access and modify my toys from home or when I am travelling. NT not only does not provide a decent shell, it does not let me log in from remote locations. And no, I will not [Quoted] install sql*net and oracle utilities on every machine I can possibly access my toys from.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Tue Mar 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message