Re: Developer 2000 - Strengths & Weaknesses

From: Doug Berscht <doug_at_atsi.com>
Date: 1997/03/17

I think that you will find the strengths of Developer/2000 to be in the tight integration to the Oracle RDBMS as well as the ability to quickly generate applications. You didn't state whether or not you wanted Designer/2000 to actually generate your application or if you were going to  build the application in Developer and reverse engineer the forms/reports.  My experience is limited with Designer but I have 8+ years with the Developer toolset. I think you'll find (as is mentioned elsewhere in this thread) that Designer/2000 will generate "adqeuate" applications under specific cases. In a recent reverse engineering course that I attended from Oracle, we saw some of the power of creating the forms/report directly from the Designer tool. However, if you need to be fairly imaginative or want to include third party controls such as VBX/OCX, you might want to use Designer to manage a "template" form and tweak/complete the form in Developer directly.

Good luck

Doug Berscht Received on Mon Mar 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message