Re: Java applet and OWS

From: Christopher Yearsley <Chris_at_pandion.u-net.com>
Date: 1997/03/17

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 03:30:25 GMT, jeffx_at_netcom.com (Jeff Crilly N6ZFX) wrote:

>You need to buy a jdbc driver to do this. One that glues to Oracle.

[useful reference to JDBC drivers snipped]

[Quoted] I find it hard to believe that given the great size and complexity of Oracle's Web server V3, Oracle make nothing to connect a Java applet to their database! Is this _really_ the case?

[Quoted] I'm struggling to see the point of OWS at all. Why not just Apache and a JDBC driver? Junk not just the 'web listener' but the Web Application Server too? Okay, OWS will allow Webforms to work, although when I attended an Oracle satellite broadcast even the Oracle reps couldn't get acceptable loading times from it.... any other reason?

[Quoted] Yes, PL/SQL in the web server, but I'm happy with PRO*C so why not use that? Yes, there's Java in the server too, but supporting Java in the server _and_not_the_client_ seems bizarre to me.

[Quoted] I still think I must be missing something obvious here. What _is_ the point of OWS?

--
[Quoted] Chris Yearsley
Chris_at_pandion.u-net.com