Re: Best point to commit in a Master/Dtl Form

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/03/13

[Quoted] In article <19970312000600.TAA23693_at_ladder01.news.aol.com>,   malh1156_at_aol.com (Malh1156) wrote:
> I am trying to ascertain when should I commit a record in a
> Master/Detail Form.
> 1) I can commit the master block as I navigate to the detail
> block, and subsequently commit each detail row as I
> navigate to the next row.
> OR
> 2) wait till the operator is done and then commit all records
> then when he presses save button.
> Which one is better? If I implement 1), it is easy to check
> for duplicate records entered in the detail block as user
> enters them. But giving an explicit SAVE button to could be
> tricky.
> If I implement 2) then I am not sure If I can detect for
> duplicate records entered into the detail block till the
> operator TRIES to commit..

This might be a place to try the POST command after each record. I believe the server would immediately reject duplicates this way. In addition, the operator could still undo all the posted changes via a Clear_Form, and would be required to use the normal Commit key/process to commit all the changes.

The only other option to detect duplicate records immediately is to write your own process in a when-validate-record trigger (this is tricky), or at commit_form time to check the block for duplicates as well as the database.

HTH
Steve Cosner

Try out QA, my dynamic data utility form. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088