Re: Oracle ProC CGI problem

From: Scott Chilcote <src_at_nt.com>
Date: 1997/03/12

On Sat, 01 Mar 1997 01:26:11 +0000, Mike Rosso <mike_at_eecs.tulane.edu> put forth:
>The problem happenes when the CGI program is called from a web browser
>(netscape in this case). It just cannot connect to the Oracle database. The
>program stops right at the place where it tries to connect. The returned
>message says:
>
>ORA-02700: Unable to open message file (SQL-02113). in "..." on line 0
> of .
>
>Mike Russo

Mike:

I don't know if you're still having this problem, but it sounds to me like the most common problem that occurs when executing a CGI program: incorrectly set file permissions.

When you create and run a process on your web server using your own account, it works because you are the file's creator and your default file permissions are set to permit you to execute those scripts/programs.

When you run a CGI program from a browser such as Netscape, the owner of the process becomes "http". If "http" doesn't have at least "read" priviledges for every item that must be read -- including library and data files -- you'll get an error. If "http" doesn't have execute priviledges for every program that must be executed, you'll get an error message.

The error message above implies that user "http" doesn't have access to your $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/mesg/*.msb files, or perhaps another mesg directory.

The webserver error logs give more detailed error messages when your applications  fail. If you don't have access to these be sure to request it.

Good Luck,

                               Scott Chilcote
                               scotty_at_pagesz.net

--
||Disclaimer: These opinions / LINUX:\\    "/^\|^\ /\  |\ /|   is not a     ||