ProC and dynamic selects using SQLDA?

From: Ken Frank <kenf_at_usinternet.com>
Date: 1997/03/11

[Quoted] [Quoted] Does anyone out there have any references on doing dynamic select [Quoted] statements (with completely unknown result-sets) under ProC? I need to duplicate some stuff I wrote for Ingres to work under Oracle, but can't find any documentation on how to do this. Even Oracle's own manual (the one claiming to be for C programmers) states that it's an advanced topic, and not covered.

[Quoted] Under Ingres, the basics look like:

    exec sql declare stmt statement;
    exec sql declare :cursorname cursor for stmt;     exec sql prepare stmt from :qrystr;
    sqlda = sqlda_new(MAX_ELEMS);
    exec sql describe stmt into :sqlda;

    /* allocate result-vars */
    for (i = 0; i < sqlda->sqld; i++) {

	sqv = &sqlda->sqlvar[i];
	[
	big switch on sqv->sqltype, with calls to allocate space for
	appropriate result-types and null-indicators omitted ...
	]

    }

    exec sql open :cursorname;

[Quoted] That's the basics under Ingres, anyways. Can anyone give me some tips for Oracle? I'd like to stay away from OCI if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Ken Frank
kenf_at_usinternet.com

[Quoted] PS - Is it just me, or is a post to this newsgroup pretty much

     guaranteed to get you on every spammers mailing list? Received on Tue Mar 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message