Re: Procedural Gateway

From: Dave Dargo <dave_at_dargo.xo.com>
Date: 1997/03/08

Paolo Rossini <prossini_at_mbox.vol.it> wrote in article <857668971.27506_at_dejanews.com>...
> Hi,
> I'm involved in a project trying to put together the following
> products:
> 1) Oracle 7.0 on AIX station;
> 2) Oracle procedural Gateway on AIX;
> 3) Oracle Transparent gateway for DRDA on AIX;
> 4) CICS on MVS mainframe;
> 5) DB2 on Mainfame;
> In order to provide the maximum range of interoperability
> we need if there anybody who knows :
> 1) how can I guarantee DUW transactionality between Oracle and DB2
> Using procedural Gateway;
> 2) what kind of performance decrease should I have while using
> Oracle DB2 Gateway (Dynamic SQL) instead of procedural gateway
> (static SQL)
> 3) there is a solution to gurantee 2PC transactionality between
> Oracle and DB2
>
> Thank you for your answer, U win a pizza as soon as you will
> come to ITALY.
> Bye Paolo

  1. Oracle will automatically handle the coordination of distributed transactions between Oracle and DB2. As long as you install either the Oracle Transparent Gateway for DRDA or the Transparent Gateway for DB2 as documented then you won't have to worry about it. Simply update as many Oracle databases as you wish and up to one non-Oracle database and Oracle will automatically coordinate the transactions with two-phase commit.
  2. This depends on the type of application which you are using. The big issue isn't dynamic vs. static SQL. Dynamic vs. static SQL in DB2 really only makes a big difference for operations that go against a small number of rows. When processing against many rows the impact of dynamic vs. static SQL is lessened. The choice between the transparent and procedural gateways should be driven by the type of application you want to deploy. If you want to use ad-hoc SQL or return varying result sets to Oracle or the client then use the transparent gateways. If you want to have access to fully encapsulated transactions that use static SQL then use the procedural gateway.
  3. Both the transparent and procedural gateways provide two-phase commit capabilities between Oracle and the non-Oracle datastores. The transparent gateway handles this automatically. The procedural gateway handles it, but its implementation will differ depending on the transaction manager you are using (CICS, IMS/TM, IDMS-DC, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Dave Dargo
ddargo_at_us.oracle.com Received on Sat Mar 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message