How to interact with PL/SQL

From: Dieter Oberkofler <dtr_at_leadingbits.via.at>
Date: 1997/03/07

[Quoted] Hi to all,

I'm searching for a solution to a common problem that appears when developing GUI applications that use extensively PL/SQL code.

Until now I developed crucial and very data intensive parts of my application in PL/SQL and just called the appropriate procedures or functions according to the user requests in my GUI based application. The PL/SQL code I executed was never to long and returned to the caller in just a few seconds.
When the PL/SQL code gets bigger and more time consuming it starts to be very unpleasant for the user just to wait until the PL/SQL code returns to the caller and the operation has been performed without any progress information of what's going on in the PL/SQL code.

I'm currently searching for "the best" solution to keep some interaction alive between the application (developed in C++ and only using OO-wrapped OCI calls) and the PL/SQL code and figured out that there aren't so many possible solutions and that I have problems in implementing them. Here the possible solution I found until now:

(1) Use DBMS_OUTPUT

How can I retrieve the text generated by DBMS_OUTPUT in a OCI based application?
[Quoted] How can I force DBMS_OUTPUT not to send all the lines after ending the procedure (this is what happens in SQL*Plus)?

(2) Use DBMS_PIPE

[Quoted] Seems to be hard to implement and there are no examples supplied by Oracle who to do this in OCI.

[Quoted] (3) Use native pipe to communicate between the server and the client

This is operating system dependent and therefore not to advice.

If someone else has the same problem and want's to share his information or if someone has "the solution" for this kind of problem please let me know. Received on Fri Mar 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message