Re: Developer 2000 in multi-platforms environment

From: Howard Gluckman <hgluckm_at_uswesst.com>
Date: 1997/03/06

Maoz Mussel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to hear your opinion about designing with Developer 2000
> for multi-platforms environment (windows and non-windows machines).
>
> Thanks in advanced,
> Maoz
>
> mmussel_at_iil.intel.com

In my experience, you can successfully port your Developer/2000 applications ( I've only tried Forms, Menus and Reports - no Graphics) to multiple environments, but you have to accomodate for the differences in GUIs. My approach ( on Windows and Macintosh, a little Unix-Motif, and eventually Web-Forms ) is to try to define the least-common-denominator GUI, and design to that. For example, on Macs, non-icon buttons must be significantly larger than their Windows counterparts in order to display the label text. This makes the Windows forms look a little worse than I would like, but I have achieved portability.
The good news, is that once you've dealt with the GUI problem, you only need one set of source code ( FMBs ), assuming you have access to common disk drives from both environments. You also have to deal with the fact that there are some things like OLE and MDI window functions that you only have in the Windows environment.

Good Luck!

--
Howard Gluckman
Data Architect

Any opinions are personal, and do not represent U S WEST Communications.