Re: Metadata for Oracle Discoveror

From: Christine Futia <futiac_at_nabisco.com>
Date: 1997/03/04

John Evans wrote:

> In article <00001a1a+00001159_at_msn.com>, Hickey_Freeman_at_msn.com says...
> >Oracle has done a fabulous marketing job of convincing some clients
> >that their 20 year old MOLAP technology purchased from IRI can also
> >be used for more sophisticated ROLAP.
>
> Express is not 20 years old, however the concepts used in Express --
> multiple cubes, server-based stored procedures, SQL reach-through
> (which we have done for years) -- have stood the test of time.
> Express has been re-written numerous times, including Express
> Server 6.0 which was recently released. And the ROLAP Option really
> does "more sophisticated ROLAP." My guess is you looked at
> Express either before Oracle purchased it, or just after, before
> many of the new developments were available. Perhaps they were
> beta versions with incomplete functionality. In any event, please
> come up with a better characterization than "Express is old", we
> have already addressed this multiple times, and it just doesn't
> ring true.
>
> >Unfortunately, in the product
> >review meetings I've had with Oracle AND from our most recent
> >technology assessments for a trio of Fortune 500's, we've found their
> >claims to be good marketing at best.
>
> With whom did you meet? I only found one person who described a
> short conversation with no product demonstration involved. We've
> tried to contact you via e-mail at the above address multiple times
> in regards to your previous posts about Express with similar
> misconceptions. So far, we've had no response.
>
> It's possible you also met with an Oracle rep who is not familiar
> enough with Express to properly describe it. Please reply to our
> e-mails so we can address any concerns you have.
>
> >There's no question Oracle has solid market share on the RDBMS market
> >and in related consulting (they are now, according to them, the 3rd
> >largest IT consulting company in the world). However, their OLAP
> >products, in my opinion haven't amounted to too much more than buying
> >IRI, tweeking it and lots of re-packaging.
> >
> >If you have a mission-critical need for a solid OLAP tool-set, I'd
> >STRONGLY recommend you do an extensive technology
> >assessment/evaluation of the OLAP tool market before moving forward.
> >If you have the resources to retain some experienced professionals to
> >help you with this, all the more added-value. Although it's feasible
> >you could find Oracle's set is the best to meet your needs, it would
> >be very surprising.
>
> Hmmm, as Oracle Express is the marketshare leader according to
> several independent studies, I don't think the market shares your
> opinion. People buy Express after in-depth technical AND business
> value evaluations.
>
> >I haven't seen a thorough or un-bias tech.
> >assessment yet that even puts them in the top five.
>
> 1. While the Business Intelligence OLAP Report does not rank products,
> Oracle Express received the highest total score of any product reviewed.
> [...]

I have to agree with John. Nabisco has been an Express site for many years and despite substantial improvements in offerings from other OLAP (or ROLAP) vendors, we are sticking with Express as an important component of our data warehousing architecture. I have no problem with presentation of facts (as long as they are really facts) and opinions (as long as they are presented as such), but I felt the initial post was extremely insulting. Perhaps the poster has a special relationship with one of the other (R)OLAP vendors???

Christine Futia,
Nabisco, Inc. Received on Tue Mar 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message