Re: Forms4.5 question: Displaying data

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/02/27

In article <5f1eat$hks_at_hubcap.clemson.edu>, Janice Powell <powell_at_clemson.edu> wrote:
>We have a standard that when doing a SHOW/DISPLAY of data (as opposed to an
>UPDATE) we protect ALL fields. But we're finding that is not so easy to do
>in FORMS4.5 since you have to have atleast 1 updateable field in a block
>before you can say go_block ... to execute_query. I've looked in the manuals
>and have been unable to find a way to say execute_query(blockA) rather than
>having to say go_block('blockA'); execute_query;
>
>I have thought of making an updateable field that has no data in it and that
>is the same color as my canvas -- thus, kinda like an invisible field. Then
>I could go to that and execute_query. But I wondered if there was a better
>method.
>
>Has anyone else experience this problem? If so, how were you able to work
>around it?

You're on the right track. Not only do you need the hidden field to do the execute_query, you also need it to use the block's scroll bars.

I create the item as the first one in the block, and name it NAV_HIDDEN (Nav for Navigable). Since I use this so often, I even have a property class set up for this type of item named ND_NAVIGABLE (ND for Non-Display). Some of the properties are: Canvas=Canvas1, displayed=true, width & height=0, navigable and enabled=true, base table item=false. We also set its visual attribute to HIDDEN_ITEM, which is used by several auto-navigation procedures to bypass this item when locating the next position for the cursor.

HTH
Steve Cosner

Try out my dynamic data utility form.
Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Thu Feb 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CET