Re: Developer/2000 versus Delphi

From: Michael Taylor <mtaylor_at_ptdprolog.net>
Date: 1997/02/26

My 2 cents...
I use both and much prefer Delphi. Oracle has just signed agreements to distribute Borland's C++ Builder and JBuilder.

C++ builder is just like Delphi (and binary compatible with existing VCLs) but uses C++ as its language rather than Object Pascal.

You can get a free demo at Borland's site (www.borland.com). I have NOT been impressed with Developer/2000. Oracle does not in my opinion have good development tools. GREAT database but it ends there.

I look forward with their partnership with Borland! Borland's biggest knock has been their financial health. Hopefully Oracle's support will keep them going. The fact that Oracle went after the tools might indicate something as well :).

BTW - I'm stuck with Dev/2000 where I work and doing any kind of sophisticated interface is an ordeal! VBX/OCX support is a joke.

Dev/2000 is well supported and you can develop mediocre interfaces quickly. Just don't try to get sophisticated if you go that route. Speed is atrocious and the overhead for the runtime steep. The developers at work who have never used anything else seem to like it. Those who have used any other GUI tools are not that enamored.

  • Mike

Shael Richmond <ksrich_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in article <330BDC3A.100C_at_bellsouth.net>...