Re: Views and Performance

From: Bill Bearden <bbearden_at_quincy.glenayre.com>
Date: 1997/02/24

[Quoted] I have always been told that non-correlated sub-queries are executed once before the main query. On the other hand, correlated sub-queries are executed once for every row in the main query. This should be the same with or without a view.

I have always heard that views should be slightly slower if anything. A little extra time should be needed to resolve 2 SQL statements (the SQL statement and the view), not just the one SQL statement.

On your second question... If the select from the view was run directly after the single select statement, perhaps the data was still in the DB Buffer Cache when the select from the view was run (?).

I would like to hear what others say. The behavior you describe is counter to my expectations.

Bill Bearden Received on Mon Feb 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message