Re: Developer/2000 versus Delphi

From: Shael Richmond <ksrich_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 1997/02/21

Mark McNulty wrote:

> Developer 2000 has been around for years, and you should be able to
> do alot with it. I'm pretty sure a VAX version is available.
> Also look at JAM/Prolifics, Uniface, and Unify. These also support
> character-mode and GUI environments, as well as the Web. I think
> these also suport VMS and DG-UX, as well as Windows 3.1, Windows
> NT, and Windows 95.

I'll look around for those products.

> Delphi with give you alot of flexibility in regards to the GUI, since
> it only lives on Windows 3.1 (Delphi 1) or Windows NT/95 (Delphi 2).
> So don't expect the other tools to match that, since they are in a
> different market (cross-platform support). Borland has done a
> great job with Delphi, and I would definately consider it in any
> Windows-only environment. But add character-mode terminal support
> or Web support, and I would look at some other tools.

I think the next version of Delphi will have Web support. You are right, we have found it to be very flexible. The character-mode terminal is the only reason we are looking at other possibilities.

> A bit of advice. Make your screens small. That is honestly the best
> help I can give on cross-platform support. That way you don't have
> to worry about font sizes, HTML resizing, smaller displays, etc. The
> tools I mentioned all support scrolling and such, even on vt100
> terminals, but you don't want your users to have to do this.

Probably good advice for anything. The biggest complaint we have seen is our screens have gotten too crowded because of all the enhancements users want. It's a two edged sword - they don't like things crowded but also don't like additional key strokes to move from one screen to another!

Shael Received on Fri Feb 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message