SQL Loader err: Field in data file exceeded maximum specified length

From: Dug Birdzell <dug_at_lab.com>
Date: 1997/02/20

Hi:

[Quoted] Posted a message to this effect a while back & I thought I'd try again as I'm experiencing the same problem.

I am attempting to load ASCII data into an oracle table which has 54 fields, some as long as 1950 characters.

The ASCII data is comma-delimited and quote-enclosed, and the record length of my test file does not exceed 4610 bytes.

On each uploaded record I get a message like:

Record 26: Rejected - Error on table SPOT.EMPLOYMENT, column TEXT1. Field in data file exceeded maximum specified length

even though I specify

FIELDS TERMINATED BY "," OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' in the control file.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Yours,

Dug Birdzell
Administrator, Programmer,  Engineer