Re: FORMS 4.5 Question

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/02/20

In article <330AA967.29DD_at_sn.no>, Erlend Stokkedal <sunset_at_sn.no> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm using Forms 4.5 on Oracle 7.3.2.1 on an NT-server, and i wonder if
>someone can help me with a little problem that i have. The problem is
>that I have made a menu at a canvas which looks like this:
> <snip>
>
>If the user wants to register orders, he chooses 1, and I want to go to
>another canvas(perhaps on another form) with a submenu for the main
>choice(1. Order registering). I have made a When-Validate-Trigger at the
>text-field where the user enters his choice that tests which number the
>user have entered, and I have coded the program so if the user enters 1
>then call_form('orders') is invoked. In the submenu there is an option
>that I have made so the user can go back to the main-menu, and here as
>well I have used call_form('main'); The problem is that when I'm chosing
>Action-Exit from the default menu-line there seems to be a stack with
>all my windows that I've been visiting.
>
>My question is: How can i Terminate the window with the menu described
>at the top of this news-posting when I'm calling another window ?

One method would be to use New_Form to start each form, and when you want to go back to the menu, use New_Form again to start the menu form. Each form would then run alone, and there would be no "stack" of forms built up. If you need to communicate between the forms, use global variables.

The above method may be frowned upon to navigate between forms, because it doesn't follow a "drill-down" pattern, but I know it will work.

As an alternative method, you might use exit_form from the called form rather than call_form('main'). Each of your subsequent call_form commands is what is building your stack of forms.

Hope this helps.
Steve Cosner

Try out my dynamic data utility form, QA. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Thu Feb 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message