Re: OEM setup problem

From: Mark Merritt <merritt_at_mail.msen.com>
Date: 1997/02/16

Keith S. (kshave_at_MBnet.MB.CA) wrote:
: I am trying to get OEM up and working with my oracle 7.3
: database. Everything is installed, and my repository is there. I cannot
: get the 'Instance Manager' to properly connect to the repository. I can't
: startup and shutdown the db because of this. I read that you have to
: set two environment variables, ORA_$ORACLE-SID_PWFILE and ORA_PWFILE. I
: could not any documentation on these. I used 'orapwd' to create a
: password file. I set the 1st variable to this file, and I don't know
: what to set the other one to. Is this correct?
[snip...]
What are your operating systems? I have done some of this for Unix servers with OEM on win95. Your 'environment variables' sound like something that might be required by NT, which I've never fooled with.

On Unix, all you need to do is create the password file with the name orapw'your-sid-name' in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs diredctory and add: remote_os_authent=true (potential security problems with this have been

                        mentioned in threads in this group - careful!)
remote_password_file=exclusive ( better check doumentation for spelling! ) to your init.ora file. Then, you need to copy your init.ora and any ifiles to a directory on the PC(if you installed the on-line documentation, this is described there).

Of course, if you are going to shut down the database that the repository resides in, don't go in through the OEM console, but run Instance Manager directly against the instance - otherwise you will have to abort your own repository connection by doing a shutdown abort or immediate! Hope this helps.

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Feb 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message