Re: JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

From: Ken North <kennorth_at_interserv.com>
Date: 1997/02/15

[Quoted] Joern Guy Suess <yogi_at_cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote in article <32F38455.4B1D_at_cs.tu-berlin.de>...

> One big problem is, that I do not see to clearly on the concept of ODBC.
> If it would be possible to run an ODBC service on any of the above two
> systems, the problem would be solved, because of the JDBC/ODBC-Bridge.
> But I gather, ODBC is strictly married to MS-products and dependent on
> its drivers.

No. ODBC is not married to Windows or Microsoft or dependent on Microsoft drivers. There are several hundred drivers from about 80 vendors. Microsoft provides ODBC for Windows but ODBC for non-Windows platforms comes from other companies.

For more of an explanation of ODBC, JDBC, sources for drivers and so on you can jump to magazine articles by linking from:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/magazine.htm

Choose your topic and follow the links to the pages at the Web sites of computer magazines.

--
Ken North
home page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North

Resource Group, Inc.
2604B El Camino Real, #351
Carlsbad, CA 92008-1214
FAX: 619-729-5127
e-mail: kennorth_at_interserv.com or 71301.1306_at_compuserve.com