Re: Linking Oracle 7.3.2 applications

From: Chris Hafey <chafey_at_ecst.csuchico.edu>
Date: 1997/02/14

In article <kKstGHAuCsAzEwxb_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>, Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <5dpeec$evm_at_news.NL.net>, Michiel Schutler
><michiel_at_enterprise.design.nl> writes
>>
>>Can anyone please tell me how to properly link an arbitrary program
>>with Oracle 7.3?
>>
>Don't know about 7.3 but multiple library entries is pretty standard for
>oracle linking. It is down to a limitation in unix linkers where
>libraries are only scanned once. If libraries cross refer to each other
>then they need to appear more than once on the link line.

  What is the official way to link portable OCI applications? Is there a manual or class I can go to? It looks like Oracle is moving towards a single library (libclntsh.a) but it doesn't always work (it core dumps on our AIX box). My current system is to copy the object files and libraries the oracle.mk file uses to build cdemo1 into my Makefile. Obviously this isn't a very clean way of doing it. Does anyone have any information?

Chris Hafey

--
chafey_at_ecst.csuchico.edu    	http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~chafey