Re: Porting Forms from Windows to Mac

From: Howard Gluckman <hgluckm_at_uswesst.com>
Date: 1997/02/14

David Condrey wrote:

> We have previously deployed Oracle Forms applications
> (v 1.2) on MS Windows only. We're now looking at adding
> a user base that has only Macintosh.
>
> { stuff deleted )
>
> We don't have the resources to redesign every canvas in every
> application. Is there something we're missing that would ease this port
> to Macs?
>
> Please respond to montgom_at_clemson.edu.
>
> Thanks.
Unfortunately, I think you're looking at reformatting all of you forms. To survive in a multi-platform environment you must design to the least-common-denominator GUI, which in this case is Mac. I have a multi-form application (about 12 forms, many reports) that successfully runs on both from a common set of source ( fmb, rdf ) files. It took some work, and some compromises to get there. Besides the fonts, the gui objects such as buttons, and pop-lists, must be much larger on the Mac side, than on the PC.

I'm hoping that web-forms ( 1.4W?) will alleviate the problem, but I'd guess its a few months off at best.

--
Howard Gluckman
Data Architect

Any opinions are personal, and do not represent U S WEST Communications.