Re: Impact of the year 2000 on Oracle systems

From: Brian Membrey <horsemth_at_mel.switch.net.au>
Date: 1997/02/13

I don't believe there are year 2000 problems PROVIDED you do not rely on the Oracle default date mask. But here's a tip from the field!

I recently checked out a system of around 200 V3.0 forms under Version 7.1, all of which worked fine UNTIL someone entered a date of 29-FEB-00. (The rule is that years ending in 00 are NOT leap years unless they are also divisible by 400, ie 1600 AND 2000) Hence, 29-FEB-(20)00 is valid and was accepted at ON-VALIDATE level, BUT the forms as part of subsequent process passed 29-FEB-00 to a procedure as a DATE type. Oracle then applied its standard date format (ignoring the century) and collapsed as it attempted to validate 29-FEB-(19)00. Everything worked fine when the proacedure and calls were modified to pass as a CHAR type and then converted using YYYY. There may be ways of changing the default format ,,, I guess the message is to double check the 29th of February ... at least if you get it right, you won't have to worry for another 400 years!!!!

Bob Johnson <no-email_at_links.into.here> wrote in article <01bc1972$6030ac60$b92e64a1_at_azkrdw00173.krd.az.bp.com>...