Re: REDO log shifts are blocking for DB updates !!!

From: Ari Kaplan <akaplan_at_oxywhite.interaccess.com>
Date: 1997/02/11

To: krc_at_nera.no
Subject: Re: REDO log shifts are blocking for DB updates !!! [Quoted] Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.oracle.tools References: <3300699E.3C39_at_nera.no>

Kjell,

I have experienced the same behavior as what you describe. What you need to do is make sure that all of your redo logs and archive directory are on separate devices.

Otherwise, when there is a redo switch, the archiver process copies the previously active redo log to the archive directory WHILE the new active redo log is being used. If they are on the same device, you will have major performance problems during each switch.

-Ari Kaplan
Independent Oracle DBA Consultant

<-> Visit my Web Page: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~akaplan   <->
<->             email: akaplan_at_interaccess.com                    <->

In comp.databases.oracle.server you write: