MSAccess to update Oracle database ???

From: Stephen Meredith <Stephen.Meredith_at_jcu.edu.au>
Date: 1997/02/10

[Quoted] Hi, thank you for reading my post and I apologize for the cross-posting but, like any cross-medium solution this is a question for someone familiar with two very different environments.

~

I have some data lying around which has to be accessed from the Web. My current thinking is to get Oracle's Web interface software, dump the data into Oracle and problem (more or less) solved. (I've prototyped this by hand with C programs and another database product and it all works but is not really maintainable).

~

I don't really want to maintain the db with SQLPlus so I've loaded it into MSAccess and would like to use this product to maintain the physical db (visible on the Unix machine via Samba - a kind of Network File System).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think all I need to do is get an ODBC driver and use the appropriate 'ConnectString' to declare the remote db to MSAccess ? Performance is not a problem because I'm only loading the original data once in a while from my PC; the on-line updating will take place via the Web.

This would be a great help if I could work from my PC instead of having to wrestle with Oracle itself. Can anyone tell me if this is viable ? I've got some ODBC drivers on floppy which came with another PC product - can I use them or is there a particular one to be preferred (where available ?). Do I have to do a 'Create Table...' first then load the data or is MSAccess able to do the whole thing as easily as it creates one of its own tables (when based on a spreadsheet or ascii file for instance) ?

Any (intelligent) suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Stephen.Meredith_at_jcu.edu.au Received on Mon Feb 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message