Web-enabled Forms Applications

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: 1997/02/07

If you had a production application with upwards of 1000 forms supporting at least 100 concurrent users with a fairly even mix of transaction and query operations, would it be feasible to run this as a web-enabled application?

Oracle's 'Putting the Web to Work' seems to suggest not. I understood the focus of the web-enabled Forms application to be more along the line of providing access to select forms to external users where form-level validation routines were important, or to casual internal users where managing the client-side installations and maintenance wouldn't be practical.

For our application, we have Macintosh desktop systems which are not ideal for running GUI forms apps due to form load speed problems. So, there have been suggestions that a web-enabled application would be a good solution to the performance problems and would be viable as a production system. Of course, no one can show us such a production system just yet and there are some short-term planning decisions that must be made regarding investment in application servers, and desktop systems that will be affected by the viability of the web-enabled system.

Thanks for any comments,

Glenn Stauffer Received on Fri Feb 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message