Re: Mainframe to Midrange file transfer???? Tools?

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/02/03

In article <32EE9630.79B8_at_ix.netcom.com>, Peter Cumming <pcumming_at_ix.netcom.com> writes
>Does anyone know of any tools that can run on a mainframe (IBM) and pull
>data (extract) for transfer to a midrange (Unix) box in an efficient
>fashion?? Currently we have to write custom programs on our mainframe to
>extract data we want to a flat file. Then for each extract we must
>unpack any packed data (Comp-3) fields on the mainframe.
>Then we transfer the data from the Mainfrmae to the midrange and BCP it
>in to the database. We could also do a hyperchannel.
>
>Wonder if there is some better or quicker way or some product...
>
>Thanks for an email reply.
>
>Peter

The is a product called ETI-Extract which claims to be able to extract data from just about any mainframe (and probably Unix) database system e.g. IMS, DB2, Oracle.

I've not used or read much abotu it myself, but we're contemplating looking at it!

Andy

Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request

After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.
  • H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare