Re: Q:help with Forms 4.5 defaults in Windows

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/01/31

In article <5cqavd$9re_at_linet01.li.net>, Gary Assa <gsa_at_li.net> wrote:
>I can't find documentation anywhere, but how do I set the following
>defaults in Forms 4.5 in Dev 2000 1.2:
>
>1. Default directory so that when I start it up and want to open a file,
> it goes to a certain directory. I don't like that fact that it starts
> in /orawin/fors45. I spend way too much time changing directories.

In the Windows Program Manager, select your Forms Designer icon, then click the pull-down: File-->Properties. Change your Working Directory to the one you use most.

>2. Why does Forms 4.5 start up assuming that I want to create a new form?
> I would like it to start up and allow me to choosw what I want, not read
> my mind and assume I always want to start a new form. Let's be real, most
> people start it up and want to edit/fix their existing forms. Why do I have
> to specifically close a 'new' form?

You don't have to close the new form. Just open an existing one, and the new one goes away.

>3. When I do use 'open', why is the dafault *.* for filenames? I only want
> .fmb files to show. I have over 1000 files in my directory. I don't want
> to have to make an extra click to show only the 'fmb files?

Good question. Why DID they do that?

1000 files in one directory??? Maybe it is time to consider dividing them into some logical subgroups, and create a few sub directories.

>4. Why does Oracle insist on making these shitty defaults, and then not
> document how to change them (if you can do that at all)?

I guess because they are human like us. They don't sit down and use the tool a lot to see how it might be improved. Let's hope as it matures, they will smooth out these things.

Steve Cosner Received on Fri Jan 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message