Re: Oracle 6/7 performance problems

From: RYoung <ryoung_at_summer.dbsol.com>
Date: 1997/01/31

Three of the biggest (and easiest) things to look for (tuning the applications SQL statements are equally, if not more, important but may be beyond your control) are

  1. Spread the datafiles across multiple drives. Try to balance the i/o. 90% of the hits on one drive will slow down anything.
  2. Separate system, rollback segments, temporary space, indexes and their associate tables, into different tablespaces. Same type of problem referred to in #1 above from a different perspective.
  3. Watch out for tables/indexes that have too many extents (ie fragmentation)

There are several good books, check out

Oracle Performance Tuning from O'Reilly {O6 & O7} Tuning Oracle from Oracle Press {O7 only}

Hugo B. Baake <hbbaake_at_pi.net> wrote in article <01bc0ecd$cdf1ed40$0d88dc91_at_hugoathome>...