Re: Accent problem w/ oracle 6 on SCO 4.0

From: (wrong string) üüren van Heijst <theijst_at_pz001.lnv.agro.nl>
Date: 1997/01/30

Yann LANGLAIS <ylanglais_at_syntel.fr> schreef in artikel <32EF8F0B.1D01_at_syntel.fr>...
> Hi,
>
> We have a bad time trying to import accentuated data
> into oracle database. The normally accentuated characters
> appearm once loaded as a normal ascii char, but shifted.
> That is, for example, "é" becomes something like "j", in q string
> resulting from a query.

Your problem has to do with data exported from an USACII7 database (or some other 7 bit character set) to a 8 bit character set database. There is one workaround available: use an Oracle6 export utility to export the 7 bit data and import it with the Oracle7 import utility. This way it does not detect wich character set you were using when you exported and it doesn't convert anything for you. I havn't tested this out myself, but Oracle ensures it will work.

T.L. van Büüren van Heijst
Dedicate information technology services Received on Thu Jan 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message