Re: Client on from NT 4.0 to Oracle 7.3.2 server on hp-unix box - can't ping???

From: George Dimopoulos <gdimopou_at_kamloops.env.gov.bc.ca>
Date: 1997/01/29

In article <1997Jan29.101704.8858_at_vmsmail.gov.bc.ca>, gdimopou_at_kamloops.env.gov.bc.ca says...

>This was my issue:
>
>>I am using the Oracle Ping test utility to test the connection
>>from a NT Workstation version 4.0 to Oracle Server on HP-UX box?
>>
>>I get following error
>>
>>ORA-12545: TNS:name lookup failure
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>I have my win.ini pointing to oracle.ini on my pc.
>>oracle in is running tcp_vendor = winsock.
>>
>>I have Oracle TCP/IP Adapter runningn for NT
>>
>>I have network section pointing to orawin/network drive
>>where, under the admin sub-directory, I have tnsnames.ora and
>>sqlnet.ora present.
>

>A response:
>
>Cause: A protocol specific ADDRESS parameter cannot be resolved.
>// *Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly;
>// the most likely incorrect value is the node name.

I have copied tnsnames.ora from our network server, where our other users, who use Win 3.1 and Novell Netware 4.1 have no problem using Client tools.

Does Oracle tools have a different setup under NT then Win 3.1?

note: I have installed Oracle tcp/id adapter (winsock for NT)

George Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message