help needed with strange constraint problem - SOLVED

From: Dwayne K. King <dwayne_at_dwayne.FreeNet.Kiev.UA>
Date: 1997/01/28

A while ago I posted a problem where I had a stored procedure that did some modifications to tables. The procedure worked normally when called from SQL*Plus, but not when called from my form.

You'll never believe what the problem was. It took me forever to find this nasty one.

The procedure (and database triggers) check the source of the request to make sure that the change is allowed. The only way the change is allowed is if the a certain package variable is set to 'CHANGE_TIN'. While operating in SQL*Plus I had to set this manually. However in the form I used a statement like the following set set the variable:

    S_Audit_package.set_prog_name(get_application_property(CURRENT_FORM));

You guessed it. The variable was being set to 'CHANGE_TI' because of the 8.3 file system. Needless to say I felt awfully stupid when I finally caught it, but I wonder how many of you have been caught by this before :)

Anyways, much thanks to all of those who helped by sending their thoughts. Unfortunately, there were too many of you to write individual messages.

--
Dwayne K. King              | "Things are more like they are now than
Computer Systems Advisor,   |  they ever were before." -