Re: PL/SQL problem? Line too long?

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/28

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:02:09 +0100, Simon Mercer <mercer_at_rzpd.de> wrote:

>I have a number of PL/SQL procedures which insert data into tables,
>doing some 'housekeeping' along the way. This works fine, all you need
>to do for an insert, for example, is call the procedure like this;
>
>exec insert_test('field1','field2','field3');
>
>But now I have encountered the problem that there appears to be a
>maximum length for the line, and I have not found a way around this.
>PL/SQL interprets returns as the end of the command, and backslashes
>have no effect.

It is the exec shortcut that does this actually. Try:

SQL> begin

  2     insert_test( 'field',
  3                  'field3',
  4                  'field3' );

  5 end;
  6 /

then you have something like a 32 or 64k limit. exec is just a shortcut for "take the line, glue a begin on front and an end; on the end and do it...."

>Is there any way to extend this line, ideally to thousands of
>characters? (the limit now seems to be 255).
>
>Many thanks for your answers,
>
>Simon
>

>--
>Dr. Simon Mercer
>Ressourcenzentrum des Deutschen Genomprojekts
>+49 30 326 39111 (fax)
>mailto:mercer_at_rzpd.de

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

  • Check out Oracle Governments web site! ----- Follow the link to "Tech Center" and then downloadable Utilities for some free software...

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Jan 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message