Re: Designer 2000 item level triggers??

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1997/01/25

FCDN <FCDN_at_concentric.net> wrote:

>We are developing systems in ORACLE Designer/2000.
>
>It is our goal to do 100% in the tool development. Our definition of
>100%
>in the tool is to create the .FMB files using Designer/2000.
>
>We have heard that there are workarounds to the inability to execute
>item level validation on the client side.
>
>We can create and execute database triggers without a problem, but the
>user is not informed until commit time.
>
>It seems to us that if we could launch a procedure from the item, we
>could include validation and other functional activities.
>
>Does anyone know how to provide access to procedures at the item
>level on the client side.

This can be done in Desginer/2000 Version 1.3, using the MODLIB function. You'll need a library routine base on the form-level trigger whose actions depend on the calling object. It is MASSIVELY ugly, but if you're schackling yourself to Max generation for now, it's the only way.

>If I didn't ask the question right OR
>If I didn't ask the right question OR
>If I didn't ask enough questions
> Please help me out.
>

>I hear that access to the event model will be available on the client
>side in
>Designer/2000 version 2.0 How accurate is that and what is your
>level
>of confidence that it will happen and that it will work?

Version 2.0 WILL have this capability, Oracle is assuring us. It is a far simpler method of achieving maximal generation. It is also supposed to have FULL reverse engineering capabilities for forms and reports, but there seems some doubt if that will be there in the first Version 2 release. The beta is scheduled for April of this year; I'd figure on production in Q3. DEFINITELY an essential upgrade.