Re: Kumaran experiences?

From: Selwyn Wies <scwies_at_world.std.com>
Date: 1997/01/24

For the last year I have been working on a Pension Administration system. The system was originally written in 3.0 and was converted to 4.5 using Kumuran. Approxomately 200 - 300 forms were converted. The reason conversion was chosen over rewriting the forms was that we only had a couple of months to do the conversion (as some sales depended on it).

The forms converted through Kumuran initially looked ok and were good in putting together a quick demo system BUT we have subsequently rewritten all of the forms anyway. The reasons for this are:

  1. We did not get source code from Kumuran, so it made it difficult to get new forms being developed to have same look and feel.
  2. We did not like certain aspects of the Kumuran look and feel, and again because it's third party software its difficult to change (also difficult to debug)
  3. I'm not sure if Kumuran has a 32 bit version of it's libraries (I may be wrong as I'm talking of six months back).

I would based on my experience (and limited knowledge of your environment and needs) recommend that you rewrite the forms yourselves. If you have the time now you will probably save money in the long run.

If you need more detailed information, please e-mail with questions.

Selwyn Wies Received on Fri Jan 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message