Trying to get data from RDB in Developer/2000 Forms application

From: William E. Morgan <wmorgan_at_nswc.navy.mil>
Date: 1997/01/24

I have an Oracle Developer/2000 Forms application that connects to an Oracle 7 database. I need to extract one field from one record in an Oracle RDB database at one point in the application. I have been reading the Forms 4.5 Advanced Techniques Manual, and it talks about "user exits" and "foreign functions" for interfacing with non Oracle 7 databases, but it all seems pretty complicated just to get the small amount of data I need from RDB. I don't even have a C compiler on my PC (running Windows 3.11) to write a user exit function. Isn't there some way to call a PL/SQL routine inside the Forms application to login to RDB, get the data, and logout back into the Oracle 7 database? Please email any responses. Thanks very much!

William E. Morgan	  NAVAL SURFACE WARFARE CENTER
Code N86		  email: wmorgan_at_nswc.navy.mil
17320 Dahlgren Rd.	  phone: (540)653-8914
Dahlgren, VA  22448	  fax: (540)653-1810