Re: email via lotus notes, ole2 or dde

From: Michael Taylor <mtaylor_at_ptdprolog.net>
Date: 1997/01/23

We've used DDE to create and control WordPerfect files and you could use similar techniques for Word or Excel, but you may prefer simply to run the appropriate applications to create the files.

We wrote a Forms-MAPI interface at our site that handles the email.

You can't simply use FFI to call the MAPI.DLL because Oracle forms has horrible support for DLLS (only simple variable types and MAPI requires a C structure as a parm). One day Oracle may just discover that people really do want to use OCX's VBX's and DLLs easily!! This is a VERY weak point with Oracle Forms.

What we did was to write (in Visual C++) a DLL with a very simple interface that in turn calls the MAPI function for SendMail. We then wrote a Forms Library to call our "simple" DLL. Oracle took a similar approach with their File Open library that in turn calls the Common Dialog DLLs.

I'm not sure if I can share the code yet or not due to the sometimes possessive nature of my company :).

I'll see if I can post it. It really isn't very complicated. We are using it with Groupwise and it works quite well.

  • Mike

David Martin <djmartin_at_netspace.net.au> wrote in article <32d85aca.946130_at_news.netspace.net.au>...