Packages and rights

From: Programming <sysdev_at_mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: 1997/01/22

We are using Uniface Six, (Windows) on an Oracle platform. Uniface Six makes extensive use of Oracle's packages when it creates the scripts to create the tables.

We are currently trying to sort out a
security issue for our applications.
We figured that we would use Oracle's
built-in security, of GRANTing
Select, Update, etc. to the appropriate tables. A number of users would have
select only rights. Easy.

Uniface, however, looks for the packages containing the code for the I/O. If they are not found, then the code will stop / crash.

If we grant execute rights to the packages, Oracle seems to also grant all rights to the user that the package would have. The package rights then would override the CRUD rights.

Does anyone know of anyway to reverse this priority?

That is, we could grant Select only
to the user, and Execute to the package. However, the package would be disabled if the user did not have all the rights to do what the package is defined as doing.

Thanks in Advance,

Rodger Lepinsky
ADP Systems Partnership
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message