Re: Problem for WebServer 2.0 on N.T.

From: Lindsberger Franz <franz.lindsberger_at_siemens.at>
Date: 1997/01/22

Alan Cheung wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am having real trouble with Oracle WebServers. I have developed a
> web-site for a Property Agency in HongKong. The Oracle v7.2 workgroup
> database is sitting on an extremely powerful NT server, with Oracle
> WebServer v2.0 on it as well. For now, the web-site is having approx. 3000
> hits a day. The NT is a Compaq Proliant with four 200 Mhz pentium pro cpu,
> and 500 Mbytes of ram, which I think is way enough to handle only 3000 hits
> per day. The site also has a T1 connection to the HK Internet Exchange.
> My problem is, the web listener seems to crash the NT server once its got
> about 2000-3000 hits. Sometimes it came out with an NT memory error
> message saying memory couldn't be read or written. Even if its not
> crashed, the server seems to response extremely slow, and this happens
> gradually. That means, once I reboot the server, it goes really fast
> again, and after about several thousand hits, it becomes slower and slower.
> It seems like this is the problem with the listener, because when I try to
> restart the listener from the service menu under control panel, it would
> restart and then it would usually crash, which forces me the reboot the
> machine. I tried to contact the Oracle supporting team but what I got from
> them is that they don't know much about NT version. What I could think of
> the cause is that it's actually a bug for the webserver that it wouldn't
> free up memory after every access.
>
> Anyway, does anyone have this experience on NT version or if anyone could
> help me out?
>
> Also, because of this, I am think of switching the web-site to UNIX
> platform. I have been recently looking at the SGI Origin 200 server. Does
> anyone know if its suitable for this purpose, cause I thought Oracle in
> UNIX version is much more stable.
>
> Thanks in advance, guys!

Hello - maybe this tip can help solving your problem: Some months ago I visited an ORACLE workshop about "WebServer and Co". There I was told, that ORACLEs WebServer 2.0 for WindowsNT has got a bug, which causes WindowsNT to fill up it's resources until ..... ORACLEs WebServer 2.01 for WindowsNT should do it better. greetings from Austria
franz.lindsberger_at_siemens.at Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message