Re: Designer 2K - Systems Modelling problem

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1997/01/22

John Caputo <caputo1_at_llnl.gov> wrote:

>It could be how much memory you have in the PC. You had better have at
>lease 32Meg, otherwise this thing is a dog. I recommend 64M. I've tried
>it on 16M and couldn't generate the repository packages and procedures.
>And i've used both 32M and 64M PCs with it. If you can get 64M (or
>better), you're better off.

I used to run D2K on an AST P133 with 32 Mb - it would GPF at least 4 times a day, destroy the video ram so you got a twisted screen, etc etc... In the end, I ditched the AST, because it wouldn't run the FIX1MB utility, and got a Compaq. This has "only" 16Mb in it, but I've had only 2 GPF's since getting it (about 2 months ago), and that was with about 6 tools open at once, which is not too surprising, I suppose! The performance is good, too!

If you can, get FIX1MB, and run it in "Worse case" mode, get rid of your windows wallpaper, don't run anything else other than the D2K toolset at one time, and you should notice quite a difference...

--
Simon Holt --  System Designer/DBA
** My opinions are not nescessarily those of my employers **