Re: Setting default values in Forms 4.5

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/01/21

In article <01bc0244$abfc1f70$1f0a40ca_at_snoopy>, Michael Leung <wmleung_at_hk.super.net> wrote:
>Would someone tell me a better way to assign default values into a tables
>in Forms 4.5. I have a master and a detail block in my form and their
>associated tables have 1-1 relationship. It means that I need to create a
>detail record whenever the master record is created. At first, I throught
>the detail record can be automatically created since I have set the
>'Default value' in the property sheet. Unfortunately, I was wrong and I
>need to explcitly tell the Form to create the detail record. I have used
>the SET_RECORD_STATUS to set the first detail record to 'insert status' if
>the record status for the detail is new. This method seems working fine
>because a detail record is created when I ask the Form to commit the
>records. However, all the default values I have assigned in the property
>sheet are not saved into the database. What did I make wrong?

I haven't found using the default value setting very useful either. Often, I set the values through PL/SQL code to make sure the new record is set up properly.

I believe you need to navigate the cursor to the new record in order for your default values to appear and be used on the insert.

HTH,
Steve Cosner Received on Tue Jan 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message