Re: Alerting clients when records have been updated

From: Michael Taylor <mtaylor_at_ptdprolog.net>
Date: 1997/01/21

I'm not sure what you want with 'client notification'. The client machine? The person behind it? At any rate the pipes you know about already. Another possibility is in database triggers writing to a holding location or table that gets polled periodically.

A more creative solution we are using is having forms events (and eventually server procedure events) use a MAPI interface to email notification to users of the system. This involved a simple C program to put a 'wrapper' around the normal MAPI.DLL since Oracle*Forms can't handle struct paramenters in FFI calls. We then wrote a forms library to use the 'simple' DLL we wrote. Oracle used this approach for their FileOpen dialog box which wraps around Microsofts common dialog DLLs.

I guess it depends on the type and frequency of notification you require.

Barry Tallis <tallisb_at_videx.com> wrote in article <32DBCFD0.4610_at_videx.com>...